Saturday, January 26, 2013

400 days and counting



Today is exactly 400 days until I turn fifty. I've been processing this all day - wine was involved.
Fifty - how is it possible? 
I'll be honest, I'm not afraid of getting older, I'm worried that if I'm not careful I will let more time go by where I then wonder - where did the year go? Where did the past 10 years go? What did I do? 
Buddhists live by the saying "All activities should be done with one intention." and that intention is kindness. This includes taking the time to be in the moment with whatever we are doing not just  how you treat other sentient beings but to the simplest things like brushing your teeth. 
This morning I brushed my teeth with complete thoughtfulness for as long as I could (about a minute). I thought about how lucky I am to have teeth, clean water to brush them with, to be able to afford dental care, to like my toothbrush, to be lucky to have a toothbrush and not have to use a twig or my fingernail.......
So, I'm choosing to spend these 400 days trying to be as kind and thoughtful with all that is going on in my life. Part of this exercise will be to journal - as close to daily as I can - what's going on with my day - big or small, good or challenging. And, I'm choosing to do that here - as often as I can - starting today.






No comments:

Post a Comment