Friday, August 6, 2010

and more about me...







Hot off the presses, the September issue of Canadian Living magazine featuring - me and my house of crazy stuff. Imagine my delight when I was contacted by editor Karen Kirk saying they wanted to do a feature on me and my digs. Well, more specifically, my possessions. It's a great read (if I do say so myself) so run don't walk to your nearest newsstand and get a copy.
Perhaps it is because my work in both interior design and prop styling requires that I report on and shop for the newest decor trends that for my own home I prefer the old, well-loved, full of character, and unusual things I don’t see everyday or in magazines that just make me smile. My Aunt Vi and Uncle Chet started to recognize my love for antiques and such years ago when during one of my visits to their home in Cape Cod we hit some antique shows. Antique dealers themselves they loved that I was so interested in so many things and started to send me “guess what this is” presents for holidays. They always found the perfect thing to keep me guessing such as a glove stretcher, a chainmail pot scrubber, cherry pitter, and last year it was a counter mount nutmeg grinder that is easily 200 years old along with a lovely Victorian sterling silver tea strainer which was part of my aunt’s collection. My work still keeps me sourcing the latest decor styles but my new project lets me marry my love for unique finds with that current aesthetic. While still working as a prop stylist, my newest project covetgarden.com, (which September 1) is an intimate look into the homes and lives of Canadians with inspirational style.

2 comments:

  1. Robin told me about the magazine feature yesterday, but I have yet to pick up a copy! Today for sure!

    And I love the name of the your upcoming magazine. I went to the site and I am so looking forward to it!

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you Alison, unfortunately I don't get to update this blog as much as I'd like too because of my new project - I hope you'll check it out.
    www.covetgarden.com

    ReplyDelete